Friday, May 13, 2011

Hurts

When I arrived home from work tonight, I was greeted by Avery with a big ol red bloody welt on her face just under her eye. I asked what happened and she told me that she tripped going into school this morning. My heart broke. What kind of mom am I that I didn't stay and watch her walk all the way safely into the building. I wasn't there for her when she feel and got hurt, really hurt. Thankfully, a nice girl from Ben's class helped her up and went with her to the nurse's office. I asked if she cried and she said yes. Ouch another blow to my heart.

This really is the first time that my little girl has been hurt and I and/or Josh have not been the one to be there to pick her up and comfort her. All, I can do is re-play the moment in my head, and I am sick I was not there for her. Not there to give her a hug, the cream, the band-aid.

I think of all the moms that I know in my life. Some have babies, some older elementary and still some with high schoolers. I look up to my friends with older children, how do you do it? How do you handle all the heart aches, when you are there and when you are not? I am thinking to myself, this is all apart of growing up, this is the first of many, many hurts. Thankfully, this one is only physical. I fear the emotional ones are going to hurt way more.

Side note: As I am tucking Cameryn into bed tonight, I was telling her how proud I was of her doing her preschool program. But, that she cannot do it again as she cannot get bigger. She says to me, "I am growing up, you know." I know sweetie, I know. Just slow down a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment