Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My little BIG GIRL

Monday March 1, 2010. That is the day that Cameryn officially became a big girl. Cameryn sent her last pacifier to her favorite baby, cousin Asher.

I realized about a month ago, that we have gotten lazy on our parenting. Things are going well, kids all sleeping well. And, we just cannot have that can we? :) So, we decided to kick things back into gear and Cameryn is the lucky kid to get the attention. We have been talking about being a big girl and that the paci fairy would soon be coming to our house. She seemed to respond to this as the tooth fairy was just here.

As Josh and I were talking about how we really wanted to pull the pacifier we came to a compromise. I wanted cold turkey, Josh wanted to go gradually. Last Friday, I threw away all the paci's but four. Saturday, down to two, Sunday only one and then yesterday the final pacifier was left. The original plan was that the paci fairy would come, take the paci and leave Cameryn a prize. But, I was really feeling yesterday that Cameryn needed to own it more. So, we talked. She told me that she wanted to send it to Asher, because babies need it so they stop crying. And, I ran with it. Cameryn and Avery spent time last night drawing pictures of Asher with Cameryn's paci. Avery had to draw pictures of Emerson, Annabelle and Asher, all as babies too.

It was after dinner when we finished the package and she wanted to take it all the way to the end. So, Avery, Cameryn and I loaded up in the car and headed to Hy-Vee's post office to mail it off. Cameryn had to hold the package the entire time, and she started to struggle as I gave the lady the package. That was fine that the lady held it, but then Cameryn wanted it back. As all good parents think on the spot, I asked Cameryn if she wanted to go get a prize for being such a big girl. Of course, she said yes!! I made sure to talk about how the mail man will come and get her package and take it to baby Asher. And off we went to Target. (yes, she got another baby.)

Bedtime. She did not want to go to bed. She cried a little, but we were able to distract her. She laid down like a tropper. She cried one time about half an hour in. It was very sad to open the door and see her just lying there crying. I gave her a hug, reminded her that her paci was off to Asher and settled her back in. She called for me two more times, only needed to give her this or that. I don't remember even today. And, that was it. I don't really know what time she fell asleep. I went to bed at 10:45p and she was still talking away with her baby. But, the next thing I knew it was morning. I couldn't believe it!! I am feeling a little beginners luck, honeymoon phase??? I don't know, but I am not expecting it to happen two nights in a row.

Naptime Tuesday. She asked for her pacis. I reminded her they were gone. And, she cried. She cried about 15-20 minutes. With me going in once. And, now she is out. Probably because she is so tired from last night.

I hope it goes ok for Josh tonight as I have to work. I am very proud of my big girl!! But, she will always be my baby.

The REAL motivation for Cameryn...a big girl bed like her friend Livvy's! I told her that pacis don't go into big girl beds. So, that will be the next step.




1 comment:

  1. I'm shuddering as I read this. Tears are swelling in my eyes. It seems like only yesterday we did this with Emerson. That experience is the very specific reason that I never allowed Annabelle or Asher to have a paci. I hope it continues to go well for Cameryn. Such a big girl!

    ReplyDelete