We turned our heads back to the start and he is already a quarter to half way down the track in third place and crying, really crying. He sees us and wants to run straight to us, but we cheer him on to finish, we cheer our little hearts out, and he does finish the race. Josh goes to talk to him and I gather the girls and all our stuff and head over to him. When the girls and I get to Ben and Josh he tells me that he fell at the beginning of the race, lifts up his shorts and shows me the cut on his knee. It is a good cut and he is bleeding. I tell them that we need to go tell his coach. We do, and they tell us where to find the nurse for a band aid. Once we have the band aid on, all is right with the world once again. Tears are gone and he is off joining in his group again. I was very happy to see that when Josh picked him up after track, same old Ben. All smiles and running around having the time of his life! A wise mother-in-law once told me that parents take it way harder than they do. I don't think Ben was up last night unable to sleep because he was replaying the race over in his mind. Then again, he didn't see himself crying.
Even though he mentioned that he really wants a blue ribbon, he didn't say anything about getting another white yesterday. Hopefully, it's because we laid it on thick how proud we are of him for finishing the race. And, we truly are, it breaks our hearts to think of him running while hurt. But, thankfully, the pride has taken over as we are so very, very proud of our little athlete with a big heart!
No comments:
Post a Comment